What: Geo for Higher Ed Summit 2014
When: August 11-13, 2014
Where: Google Headquarters, Mountain View, California
Google will be hosting a special three-day hands-on technical workshop at the Googleplex in Mountain View. This Summit will bring together instructors and researchers in GIS and remote sensing technologies from higher education institutions. You will connect with Google instructors and engineers, and get resources for using these tools in your research and teaching.
Cost: Attendance is free, following acceptance into the workshop through Google’s application process. Breakfast and lunch on these 3 days will be provided free to participants.
Who should attend?: This workshop is designed for mapping and technology specialists, instructors, faculty, and advisers in higher education research and teaching, who are actively working on projects or teaching courses related to mapping. You will learn highly practical online tools for geographers and GIS/RS academics, to collect, host, analyze, visualize, and publish map data using the power of the cloud. Special attention will be paid to new Google tools, including Google Maps Engine, Google Earth Engine, and others. Applicants should meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Are employed at a higher education institutions; or work in a capacity that serves higher ed students.
- Are currently working on mapping projects (of their own or with students/collaborators), or have datasets they want to map and analyze.
- Have intermediate-to-advanced technical experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Google Earth, Google Maps, Maps Engine or Earth Engine
- GIS or remote sensing/image analysis experience
- Web/multimedia development
- Programming for Google Geo APIs
- Possess training experience and intend to train others within their institution.
To ensure an effective hands-on experience, there will be a limited number of seats, so we may not be able to accept every workshop applicant.
The application is now closed. If you are interested in being notified about future workshops, join our mailing list.